I switched from DirecTV to Dish based on their new advertised 3 year price lock. Their website says that Hopper + Joey (Super Joey Required) says that I'll be able to record or watch 8 channels at a time. My service was installed 3 days ago, and I went to watch live TV and figured out I couldn't because I was already recording 3 shows. HMM. 3 is less than 8. Turns out I wasn't sold a Super Joey but just a plain old Joey. I'll take the hit for that one, as I didn't ask. When I call Customer Service, the first rep (US Rep) informs me that they'll be happy to rectify the problem and provide me with the new Hopper3 which has 16 tuners, and this will be provided at no cost to me. Great. Please hold while I transfer you to a foreign rep.

I'm transferred to an "offshore" customer service rep who spends the next 20 minutes telling me that the system is working exactly as described and they aren't giving me any relief. Turns out you can only record 8 channels at once if you order the super joey, AND you record the channels that THEY WANT YOU TO WATCH. If you want to record the channels that YOU WANT TO WATCH you get 5 max. The rep continues to tell me that I need to manage my expectation and record less stuff. SERIOUSLY!!!!! She continues to tell me that since their equipment is working exactly as promised (3 vs 8 seems to be ok to them) she'll be happy to provide the Hopper 3 to me for the low price of $150. Nevermind the fact that the US operator told me "no cost to me"

I ask to be transferred to her supervisor which takes approximately 5 minutes to locate. Once Sam is online, she continues to beat the drum that Dish has the best technology and I'm recording too much TV, never mind the fact that my 3 year old DirectTV never stumbled. She sticks by the fact that no relief on the Hopper3 $150 (which she finally comes down to $100). She never mentions the Super Joey at any point in the conversation. When I finally bring it up, she seems as if this is newly discovered information, and will be happy to provide this to me for $3/month. I asked her if she was seriously going to continue to berate an unhappy customer over $3. You guessed it. She wasn't going to budge.

Long story short, I now have a new Super Joey on the way for which I'll get to pay an additional $3 per month to get 5 channels vs the 8 that were ELUDED to in the original sale.

On a funny note I tweeted that I was unhappy with my Dish service and technology and I wanted DirecTV back. Guess who is the only one that responded to my tweet. DirecTV!!!!

Interestingly Dish has selected Red for their logo color which historically represents ANGER, and DirecTV has chosen blue which represents LOYALTY.

I never should have left DirecTV!

Reason of review: Bad quality.

Preferred solution: Let the company propose a solution.

I liked: Great sign up.

I didn't like: Customer service and no one that can make a decesion, Dry ink on the contract, Technology inferior, Truth in advertising, Promises in the gray area.

Comments