I had an old receiver that Dish said would not work after 5/31/15. They said they would replace it at no cost with an updated HD receiver.

My old one had the timer feature that worked perfectly. The new VIP211 has a timer feature but it does not work. They have gotten complaints from customers since last October and have not fixed the problem. They refuse to replace the unit with another model that has the timer feature working.

They said they would send me another model for $200. Trouble is, I already paid for the one they said I couldn't use any more and now they want to sell me another one.

I and other customers have tried repeatedly to get this resolved and they just keep saying that they see no problem. We have been abandoned with non-functioning receivers.

This person wrote the review because of damaged or defective of dish network receiver from Dish Network. Reviewer claimed that he or she lost $200 and wants Dish Network to have the product delivered.

The most disappointing in user's experience was failure of receiver features. Author liked the most discounts. The author asks this business to immediately contact him/ her to briefly discuss his/ her negative experience with the company.

We collected other reviews about products and/or services offered by Dish Network for you to read. This information may help you with your purchase decision.

Comments

Raton, New Mexico, United States #954489

You can keep your old receiver, but as of May, it will no longer be able to receive signal from dish network. As far as the timer feature not working, it is not a guaranteed feature.

For it to work guaranteed, you would need a DVR.

You can also pay $40 and convert your 211 into a dvr with an external harddrive. Your monthly service fees are for the service itself, and you do not currently py anything for this additional service, so it may have been deactivated.

to Satellite Fan Quitman, Texas, United States #954558

That's not what Dish is telling me. This receiver is supposed to have a working timer feature and they say it should work but it doesn't.

I don't need the HD or DVR, just the timer feature to change channels. Problem is, they tell us it should work but it doesn't.

Several customers with the same problem.

to Anonymous Mesa, Arizona, United States #954578

It is a feature that can work, but again is a feature that is not paid for, so if it doesn't work, waiting for either a software update or for the company to officially tell you it is no longer supported is all that can be expected. My guess is that you are wanting it to change the channel so it records to a VCR or DVD recorder? It may very well be something by design to prevent any copyright infringement, or to create the revenue for the service that is charged for(that's what the DVR does, records it digitally).

to Satellite Fan Denver, Colorado, United States #954645

No, I don't record these. I am disabled and the reason I need it is not relevant.

I was assured that this receiver had that feature and it does not work. I bought the old one because it did that.

You are defending a company that has cheated me. I guess you work for them.

to Satellite Fan Mesa, Arizona, United States #954681

Nope, I did once, and understand the business. I would say the same for DTV, Comcast, etc.

I, too, am disabled from the military, so I do understand the hardships. That said, electronics all have their expiration dates, and they have tried to pull these receivers off the market for over 3 years, and there was still hold outs. Their May 31 deadline is the final deadline and will better their system for their customers collectively.

The feature you are looking for May be back someday with a future software release, but for the time being, this would be what you have to work with. There is no alternative options unless you would like to try another company, potentially pay more, and still not guaranteed this feature to work.