1.9
Coverage Area
Style and Design

My family has been with Dish since 2000--long time.Dish was new and innovative, challenging TV viewing in those days.

Since 2009, however, Dish has been flagging in every department i.e. Customer Service, Tech, and Billing, right off the top. US cost-of-living can't keep pace with Dish increases, the latter raising prices at every turn, despite advertising to the contrary. Our bill in 2000, for example, was $45-$50/monthly; our 2017 bill is a whopping $124+ (it was $137)--and this is AFTER calling, several times, to request Dish institute premium channel promos!

Customer Service seems offsite, often a problem because some Dish associates can't follow the English language 100%. The result: billing/programming errors categorized under "miscommunication." Further, it appears Dish employs local distributors at cost, because during Dish's "migration program," in which my family participated, upgrading to newer equipment--at no cost--not only did the technician fail at initial setup, and the picture STILL isn't right, he also used traditional cable-installation-rip-offs to get more money out of us at installation. Dish, to its credit, REFUNDED our money. These types of incidents, coupled with thousands of terrible, online reviews reflects numerous, inhouse problems Dish seemsbto be transferring to customers!

Recommedations: 1) SHOP AROUND before committing to anything Dish. There are many TV viewing options that do not include MONTHLY BILLS OVER $110! 2) Already a Dish customer? Review your bill, like an IRS auditor, because Dish WILL remove channels, manipulate packages (to be fair, not always Dish's fault), and charge more money--incrementally, so you don't notice immediately--all without further notification.

3) Premium channels (HBO, CINEMAX etc.) often have promotions that include 50% off monthly charges, or zero charges monthly for a duration of 3 to 6 months. You can save substantially. The downside: Dish WILL NOT notify you of promos end, beyond initial setup info, so if you don't watch your channels--and billing-- you will either a. Lose channels, or b.

get channels at regular price, which effectively, c. raises the monthly bill, same often increased beyond earlier bill totals. The aforementioned is, unfortunately, a common practice of Dish, likely borne of too many hands on your account, the reality of falling sales (it's all over the Internet about customers leaving), or a decided effort to nickel-and-dime customers toward inflated fees ultimately. 4) Dish supervisors can be your friend, "agreeing" to give extra "no charges" on some elements of your package--for a limited time.

Dish wants to keep its customers. Again, be careful; freebies often come with more inflated fees at freebies-end. 5) The new Dish Flex packages are studies in "Shorting The Customer 101." Certain channels are curiously "unavailable" in some Dish packages. Why, for example, can't I just get "Epix Drive-in" without ordering the entire, Epix package?

To...charge me more? Or is this just another "misunderstanding" from a Dish associate? I appreciate all Dish has done to keep my bill manageable. And why so many "junk channels?" Dish has failed, in my opinion, to maintain the diligent, professionalism my family experienced during the company's formative years.

Fortunately, TV viewing options have evolved, once again; Dish (or Direct) isn't the only game in town. Monthly bills OVER $110, substandard Customer Service, and questionable tech should not be Dish's legacy to the consumer. All customers want stellar care and reasonable, affordable viewing choices. Not everyone is a sports fan, so ultimate sports packages do not placate customers universally.

Customers have alternatives to apparent, money-grubbing tactics employed by some Dish reps, and the options are welcome albeit long overdue. Sorry this was so long. Dish has been a part of our household for a some time; we don't want to go. Change is hard.

Change, however, is necessary, and we will be leaving.SHOP AROUND!

Review about: Dish Network Americas Top 250 Tv Package.

Reason of review: Pricing issue.

Had an Experience with Dish Network?

Comments

We have been having issues with our equipment.The remote doesn't always work, especially after using the on demand feature or Netflix.

I called customer support and that call did not go well because of a improperly trained representative from a outside of the USA call center, she told me I would have to buy a new remote from them. The second time I called I asked to speak with someone in the USA, the man I spoke with said to hit the reset button to fix it. It kept happening so I called them back a few days ago and they sent me a new free remote but this remote is doing the same thing!

It is very irritating.I wonder if the issue is with the box instead.