2.3K views

I got a call that said I could pay my Dish Network bill by buying a green dot money pak card. I went to cvs and bought one for the amont they gave me.

Then I gave them my card number and they said that i was all set. But today dish network called asking for money because they didn't get it. I have a electronic reciept from dish network but they are saying that it isn't real.

So now I have lost over 600 dollars to a fraud. I have tried calling the number back and they keep rejecting my calls.

Comments

Cumming, Georgia, United States #696846

same thing happened. We lost $500.

Do not use moneypak. Do not trust the following number 18003386305

Dallas, Texas, United States #683912

I have also been receiving thesimilar nature of calls as discussed here amongst the crowd here and I am hsppy to report that I HAVE NOT PURCHASED A GREEN DOT MONEY PAK CARD YET. Will I??? Eff No!!!! The funny thing is I had the similar type of call come to me since the last month or so but I told the rep that I couldn't make the sole decision as my wife was out of the country and I need to discuss with her before proceeding. It seemed legit on face...until I called the "ACTUAL" Dish Network Customer Service at 1-800-333-3474 and confirmed with them that this is fraud. Since then I have not tried to call back but have been receiving repeated phone calls on nearly a daily basis. I decided to test out the systemtodayand sign up BUT HAVE NOT YET PURCHASED MY MONEY CARD THAT IS REQUIRED. I again called Dish Network backas I had further information to go off of to REALLY CONFIRM if this was a prototypical B.S. Scam or a real deal?

Details:

Name: Chris Taylor

Rep ID: 3R1

Telephone #: 1-866-790-2641, EXT 1

Authorization #: C00721

Heck, these guys initiated a payment credit towards my account foran amountof $324.44, which was geared to help me pay for the Money Card Voucher and inclusive ofthe $4.95 fee for the voucher. THIS GUY CHRIS WAS DESPERATE ENOUGH TO GET THE SALE AT ALL COSTS. THEY EVEN WENT ABOUT THE VERIFICATION OF MY BILLING AMOUNTS BUT NOT MY SECURITY CODE ON THE ACCOUNT AND NOTMY SSN OR ANYPERSONAL DETAILS. I AM CONCERNED LIKE THE REST OF THE AUDIENCE HERE AND WISH THAT THESE INDIAN FREAKS WOULD STOP EFFIN AROUND WITH THE CUSTOMER PUBLIC LIKE THIS. AS I WRITE THIS I AM ALSO ABOUT TO WRITE A POLICE REPORT TO MY CLSOEST POLICE DEPT IN THE CITY OF LEWISVILLE.

#BUYERBEWARE

#EXERCISECAUTIONFOLKS

Dallas, Texas, United States #653454

I had to call them back at their 800.804.0734 number and ask them who they really work for. And ask if they aren't ashamed of doing this job.

Then you hear back the real stuff from them, and this rep is shameless to accept that the job/work he does is 'to screw up people'.

Thanks for the postings here. BEWARE

I did fall for this scam as it was done so well -- I was impressed. They put a lot of attention to details and used technology.

This seems to be a call center company in Calcutta, India. The entire purpose of the company seems to be to operate such scams. The employees can do well. They make up to Rs.

50,000 a month or more (~USD 1000). Dish may have a breach in their security which is unexcusable.

Brecksville, Ohio, United States #624120

I like to share info about fraudulent call received from a third party, saying that they are from Dishnet.

The scam works as below.

Stage 1: You will be informed by a phone call saying that your online payment or the credit card payment hasn't gone through and the payment is past due.

Stage 2: You will also get a message on the TV Screen, saying that your payment is past due & call 1-800 333 3474.

Stage 3A: Someone will call you even if you don't call, saying that his name is Martin with the Employee # 8R1.

Stage 3B: He will talk unusually long enough and offer a Promotion (Authorization # T690511) of a half price deal, saying that all we have to do is just the 6 month's payment but avail the service for one whole year.

Stage 3C: He will also offer to increase the channels like (top of the line) CNN, all HBO (10 channels), Discovery, etc., etc., and he will also ask you to turn on the TV and check whether we can see them right away.

Stage 3D: For your surprise, you will see those channels right away. (The scammers are technologically too good to *** the dishnet's computer network and even can add these channels without dishnet's knowledge)

Stage 3E: He will ask us to pay the whole 6 months' amount (not by Credit Card or Debit or by a Check) but by a card called, Green Dot Money Pak Card (with a scratchable pin), which is available anywhere like Walmart, CVS, Walgreens, Marcs, Giant Eagle etc.,

Stage 3F: Once you agree he will say you to get it on the following day. He will call you promptly the next time at the said time and ask you to scratch that card and tell him that #. Once you do this, your money is gone.

Surprisingly you will also avail all those extra channels he offered.

Stage 4: After a few days or weeks the real dishnet will ask you to pay the monthly payment...!, which you thought you paid all in once for the whole year.

Stage 5: Nobody can help you to trace that payment since you chose to pay by that green dot card. The trick is the person will not ask for any valuable info like your SSN, bank routing #, credit card # or debit card #.

You may wonder that how do I know all this detailed information. I was experiencing all the stages from 1 through 3E.

Since I felt this was unusual, I kept ignoring his call on the second day and called dishnet. When I was talking to the customer service (someone from India) luckily the Fraud Martin also called me and I put both of them on the conference Call.

When the real dishnet person was asking for his details like name and Employee ID #, this time Martin was saying a different Employee #. It was a funny moment to hear that Fraud MARTIN was baffling. The real dishnet person explained me this and immediately cancelled all those channels. The fraud crew is technologically so good that they can hake in to the dishnet's system or someone in the dishnet may hel them.

So I thought it is a good idea to let you all know and if you wish to circulate this to others(dishnet customers because of Sun TV) so that everyone will benefit by not entertaining such a call.

to OHIOAN Austin, Texas, United States #630386

Thank You for sharing!!! I just got the call from F*&^%% Martin with same offer from phone number 1-800-285-3980 & on top of when I ask him if you are from Dishtv, he told me that I am also going to receive another call from Dishtv number after his conversession & I am surpise becuase I got it from dish network as well which is 1-800-333-3474.

I don't know how Dishnetwork is handling this matter since customer are getting confirmation call from Dishnetwork as well.

Don't go with this offer. It's F@%#&* trap.

Chicago, Illinois, United States #622333

i got this same call yesterday. said if i paid $427 on a greendot card, i would get 6 months free dish.

i contacted dish network before i purchased the green dot card. they looked into it and said it was fraud. and that i should do a credit alert.

so luckily i'm not out any money. but dish should definetly send e-mails or put it on the website to warn their customers!!!

San Francisco, California, United States #621410

I guess it is not DISH making that SCAM call, also I don't understand why would a vendor want you to send money through a third party when you already have an autopay / electronic payment setup on their website, ... guess that is a RED FLAG right there.

Reporting such calls and let DISH know that there are scammers using their name would help the cause... my 2 cents.

Thanks

Atlanta, Georgia, United States #620689

I just got scammed $302 + $4.95 greendot fee. Exact same story.

pay 6 months 6 months free and premium channel... Surprisingly, I called dishnetwork before making the payment asking if I can pay with a check card and they said this promotion must be from some reseller and I can pay with any prepaid card.

After learning about scam, called dish and they cancelled my online account, asked me to raise a fraud alert and file a police report.

Why is dish not alerting its customers of the scam, Also why was customer service not able to alert me about the promotion. Many questions which dish needs to answer but is not :(

Mansfield, Ohio, United States #620412

Thanks to this forum, I am verifying the call I received was indeed a scam. It was prepay 6 months, receive 6 months free + HBO and Cinemax.

After buying the prepaid greendot card, I had to call the Bililng Dept at 800-652-0237.

If I completed the transaction within a few hours, they threw in a third channel and extra prepaid month for free.

San Francisco, California, United States #617645

I received same call, and being paranoid about such thing... I directly called Dish network and realize no such promotion going on.

However, baffling thing is that this scam is going on for such a long time, but Dish hasn't taken any action, nor informed customers about such scam...

this shows that they don't care about their customers or security of the personal info on online accounts. They are just waiting for someone to sue them.

San Francisco, California, United States #616667

I received a call as well and seemed too good to be true. People need to be more aware and not fall for this. Yes the people who are scamming are doing it wrong but think why would dish provide 6 months free and ask you to buy a voucher and only accept cash/debit card.

Los Angeles, California, United States #616626

I'm an attorney. My dad was the victim of this scam a couple days ago.

Once I realized several people have fallen victim to this identical GreenDot scam since (at least) August 2012, I realized Dish may be civilly liable for this type of fraud for a couple reasons. 1) They were on notice that this was happening to their customers, but did nothing to warn their customers about providing a PIN number over the phone (except for a disclaimer on their website that no one ever uses). 2) Whoever called my dad knew he was a longtime Dish customer, which is not publicly available information. He also had to have either our account or receiver number in order to access our online account.

He could have ONLY gotten this information through Dish's negligent handling of customer information. Dish contracts with third parties to do telemarketing. When customer info gets into the wrong hands as a direct result of these third-party contracts, Dish is liable for negligence. I explained all of this to the executive solutions supervisor and threatened to file a class action lawsuit.

She apologized for the inconvenience but otherwise didn't seem to care. We canceled our subscription, but I think there is a very strong case to be made for a class action lawsuit claiming breach of confidential customer information.

to biraweeyaz #617980

@biraweeyaz, you mentioned you are an attorney. Then why arent you filing a class action lawsuit for your dad?

to biraweeyaz Derwood, Maryland, United States #644915

My parents got the same call. We believe these are the same people that have been calling my parents saying Medicare is issuing new cards to senior citizens and took my parents bank account and routing info for deposit of claims, etc..

and my parents fell for it and gave all their info. Luckily we had him close that account as soon as we heard of this. This is the same company that has their profile info and know that they are long time Dish customers, knew their monthly Dish bill to tell them how they can save.

Dish is liable, Medicare is at fault as well, however is there anything that can be done to get to these fraud scamers?

When they call my parents, using our Verizo FioS put a malicious call trace. however they keep calling back from different phone numbers.

to biraweeyaz Seattle, Washington, United States #676375

I was scammed too. What do we do now?

to biraweeyaz Chicago, Illinois, United States #677503

Just got smammed last month via martin and greendotscam. we need to bring a lawsuit against dish for not warning customers, not having it on their website, and compromising our security through not having enough security on their networks.

infact, after payment is made through the green dot money pak, you can call or chat with dishnetork customer service and they happily confirm that they have received your lumpsum payment. they still do not warn or inform you and a fewdays later, say that you owe them money.

so they are one hundred per cent aware that their customers' security is being compromised, their accounts are being hacked into, and do nothing to stop it.

Fremont, California, United States #616268

Whoa, this is scary. Got the call from this LOYALTY dept an hour ago with the same details listed below.

They verified my monthly billing amount and I have time till tomorrow 7PM to buy this moneypak voucher (cash-only deal) and give them the number tomorrow.

Glad I researched and came across all these complaints.

NOW... anything I can do to trap them tomorrow???

New York, New York, United States #616229

I received the exact same offer and gave them my pass code because I assumed they were legit since they knew how long I've been a Dish Network customer and the total on my most recent bill!They changed my online password, added the 2 free channels, then asked me to pay the 6 months lump sum through a Green Money Dot Pak.That's when I became suspicious and called Dish directly. They confirmed my suspicions, helped me reset all my info and advised me to file a police report.

I already did and they're investigating it.

However, I'm furious that Dish Network did not notify their customers, by formal letter mailed to their homes,about this. Who would have known this had been going on for so long?

to rynoso #676580

I was scammed too. I thought they were legit because he started streaming the channels on my t.v.

as I was speaking to him on the phone. He took our private information and now I am terrified that it is going to be used for identity theft.

I wish there was a class action suit against Dish for this. They did not warn customers about the scam and also, their customer service person was unaware of such a scam.