1. I have been a Dish Network customer for 12 years.
2. I live in both Oregon and California.
3. When in Oregon I have Dish add local Oregon Channels, but when I spend time in California I have Dish remove Oregon local channels and add California local channels. They charge a fee for adding and removing although they have waived the fee on occasion.
4. When Television stopped transmitting an analog signal, I purchased a digital TV and when I was in California I did not add local channels but received most of them. However, as it was unreliable because of the distance I live from the transmitters, I finally asked Dish to add the local California channels. They did, and they charged me a fee.
5. In a few days I started getting a message stating that I was not authorized to receive this (local) channel. The message would disappear, the channel would work fine for a few minutes and the message would re-appear.
6. I called Dish and they would tell me that I need to pay a monthly maintenance fee of $15 or I would have to pay $95 for a service call. I would ask to speak to a supervisor and in short order the problem was corrected.
7. This lasted a day or two and I would have to call again, get the same demand for a $15 monthly maintenance fee, talk to a supervisor and have my local channel problem resolved.
8. I made seven calls in three weeks. Finally I refused to pay the additional maintenance charge.
9. I believe that they are using the congressional legislation that change analog to digital to obtain additional fees called a maintenance service plan. This is their equipment. It has been for twelve years. I should not have to pay to service their equipment.
10. I do not object to a program fee, but the maintenance fee is clearly fraudulent. They have total control of the signal. Whatever the supervisors did to establish a signal is proof of this control.
11. Generally when there is a technical problem, a service technician troubleshoots the problem. When I called, there was no trouble-shooting, merely a demand that I pay for a maintenance program.
Product or Service Mentioned: Dish Network Tv Service.