We received a call from someone pretending to be from dish network billing - saying they had a promo - where if you bought a prepaid greendot card at CVS or Walmart using a debit card or cash and called them back to make 6 months worth of payment - they'll give us an extra 6 months for free.The guy also said as a promo they are adding extra channels - HBO and Cinemax and when they had my husband turn the tv on - sure enough we were getting those channels.

Shortly after we hung up - my husband got an email that his dish network password had been changed. When he tried to log on - he couldn't. He got suspicious and called dish network - to find out that extra channels were ordered online to be added to our account. The scammers used that to gain our trust - so we'd think they were from dish network and thus capable of giving us extra channles for free.

An hour later the guy calls back to see if we bought the greendot card or not - and we told them that we'd reported them to the police instead. The number they called from and asked us to call back on is 1-800-358-9605. When you call this number it says dish network.

When we googled this - we found out that we were not alone - and other people had actually gone out and bought the pre-paid cards and provided the account number to these scammers - ultimately losing over $600.Consumers need to be made aware - since its such an easy trap for innocent victims - who think maybe dish network is giving them a deal since they're paying 6 months worth of charges upfront.

Had an Experience with Dish Network?

Comments

Boston, Massachusetts, United States #673989

We have also been scammed. DO NOT GET SCAMMED!!

i got a call for same promo pay six months get six months free about 04 months ago along with hooper receiver. i paid my six months bill 459$ four months ago since then i haven't recvd any bills from dish and my services are running too .it seems to be a legit promotion at least its working for me .

this scam is being runned in Pakistan not in India.... FBI was not able to do anything but ive trACED these ppl down. just have to go to them nw any one with me pm me

Rgds: Kathy McCoy

The Federal Communication Commission, FCC, takes complaints about toll free numbers. It seems they should also be able to trace where it is coming from.

Dallas, Texas, United States #664458

Thank you!for this forum.

Yesterday I got a call from 800-560-4095 and it was the same scam that is being talked about here. One thing I learn't is never commit for the signup on the first call.

I told him I will get back and google'd and found this.Thank you!!!.

This is a complex scam and may have “insider” connections, even if it is a “third party” retailer of this company, the company is still responsible for investigating and mitigating.A high percentage of identity frauds/scams like this are actually “inside” jobs and not necessarily the actions of random shady hackers.

Police and other law enforcement agencies should be notified and compelled to investigate.

Dish Network should be able to trace from where and how the programming was changed.The FBI does investigate financial crimes/fraud and there are local FBI offices in many cities that could be contacted to answer questions.

I just got ripped of thru the same scam for $X amount, as said by earlier guys Dish network is involved, when called Dish they say its online enabled, how did a scammer had my account info and login, Dish is vulnerable they need to secure the account else will need to have a lawsuit on them.

Perrysburg, Ohio, United States #652078

Did anyone reported this incident to the newspapaer or local media? Please let me know if that helped.

I am going to report this to media.

Orlando, Florida, United States #650262

You are right Michael .I think dish network employes are all together in this scam.

When I received this call from loyalty dept I thought it is to good to be true . Then I called 1800333dish to verify if they have such dept and promotion . They told me they recognize the phone no and they are promotion partner . But they don't know the promotion .

I thought ok they are true company . I went ahead and pay them $580.00 . Later found out I was scammed . Evan tried my best to verify with co .

Now when I called them about it they are refusing to take responsibility .

And refuse to give me c.e.o or bigger authority phone or email to complain about it .Please I am with you to file law suit against them .i think we all should get together and go for it .

Chicago, Illinois, United States #647280

My husband received call from this number.Caller ID showed Dish Network and their number.

They got connection at DISH network and are able to add channels. We have lost almost $300.00. I am looking for people that have been affected by this scam to open a case with FBI. I called FBI and they will be able to catch these crooks if we have enough people to prove.

Also greendot MoneyPak is able to see where money went but they are not willing to do anything.If you have been affected and would like to join me on this you can email me at jasminaali@yahoo.com