Coverage Area

Last month, I got a letter from a collection agency for four and half year old “debt” of $337.323 for terminating my agreement with DISH Network because the service didn’t work in the upstairs bedroom as they said it would. We had the DISH contractor come back three times to try to remedy the problem but he couldn’t. I told him to take the box with him, which he did.

30 days later, a collection agency called and offered me the “opportunity” to “make this go away” by paying half of the amount that was owed. I declined, saying that the service never worked, there for the contract was not valid. I didn’t hear a thing from DISH or any company representing them since then.

It is important to note that I haven’t lived in the residence where the attempted DISH service was made for over a year and a couple of months.

After calling DISH to challenge this semi-legitimate looking thing, I got a second letter from the collection agency that said it was a “valid debt” and they would be “continuing the collection process.” I ran this by a rep at my bank and he said to call DISH directly and ask them to send me a copy of the agreement that I had signed.

I called DISH again on December 22nd and spent over two hours on the phone. I was disconnected twice but persevered. I was transferred three times and finally got a guy who said that his computer displayed the following message: “Customer has been out of the system for over 36 months and records cannot be accessed.” Then he told me he would transfer me to the “Office of the president.

A man who identified himself as Employee “WD9” answered and said that would “work with me.” Apparently he verified that they did not have a copy of my signed agreement. After another five minutes of hold time, he came back on the line and said “OK, you have a point. If we don’t have your agreement we can’t prove that you ever had service with us. I will send you a letter with our letterhead that says you have a zero balance on this account.”

Today, after not receiving the letter, I called DISH again and this time they said that they have found my original agreement and sent it out yesterday. They also said that they have “notes” on the account from 2011 in which I complained about their attempt to get money from me but they don’t have the notes regarding the number of times I called to complain about the service not working. A man from the “Office of the president” told me that I would have to get an attorney to subpoena those notes if I wanted to use them as part of my argument for not paying the debt.

This is a scam. I believe the collection agency, which is called “afini,” which is based in Bloomington, IL, is doing this to past DISH customers for pennies on the dollar. The tactics by the agency and DISH are to intimidate people and wear them down.

This is a clear measure of what kind of company DISH is and people should read and consider this before ever doing business with them.

Product or Service Mentioned: Dish Network Tv Service.

Reason of review: Bad quality.

Preferred solution: I want DISH to stop harrassing me about this four and a half year old "debt" for service that was never provided to me..

I didn't like: Breech of contract, Being lied to, Customer service, Bad debt collection, Harrassment, Intimidation, Fabricated debt.

Company wrote 0 public responses to the review from Jan 03, 2015.

Comments

Mesa, Arizona, United States #925401

So if they have your signed agreement, are you going to pay it, as it can be proven to be owed?