15.2K views

I cancelled my Dish Network service today. As expected, they'll require the return of my leased equipment. Much to my surprise there would be a $15 fee assessed for each return label I had to use. I was told that this was clearly stated in the terms and conditions I signed for my service.

However, Dish Network's RCA Page 7, Item 5, Part B: states you must "contact our customer service... to schedule the return of your leased Equipment...". It says nothing about the customer being repsonsible for return shipping charges. Nor does it say anything about Dish Network paying the return fees.

Obviously there is nothing criminal about this policy. What it does is provide Dish Network with the leverage they need to bully clients into keeping their services. If you wish to refuse to return your leased equipment, Dish Network will simply place an over-inflated replacement fee onto your credit card they keep on file. It should be noted that your credit card information is kept on file even after you request it to be deleted. The public needs to know what of company Dish Network is. Buyer beware and remove your support by cancelling your own services.

Comments

#1319444

Dish is about the most unscrupulous and revolting firm you would ever run across.

Why else would their own home state Attorney General fine them $2 million for their business practices. Ask the guy at Customer Service why it happened.

Scottsboro, Alabama, United States #1315361

is my 2 yr contract up already

I have cancelled dish tv connection very long before.

All you have to do is call your bank and say that you didn't authorize the money Dish took out and they'll refund your money. I did this and it worked, which I didn't authorize any transaction when they took out the money.

to snitey #735924

Well, now it's $17. But we complained to Dish and they agreed to credit our account.

Maybe they are hoping we will come back to Dish someday. Funny thing was we tried to make a deal with Dish that was as good as Direct was offering. They would not even come close until we got Direct and cancelled.

Then they offered us a good deal that we would have stayed with them, but it was too late by then. ***.

to Anonymous Murfreesboro, Tennessee, United States #1214106

DTV did the same thing with us when we switched to Dish.... but it was too late.

Now we are going with AT&T with an offer that combines TV and Internet with a lesser price than I'm paying Dish.

I wonder if Dish will refund my money..

as it is going on my card today.. and DTV will be installed next Sat.

to Anonymous #1319446

Ask for the Comeback 555 Promo $25 off the monthly for a year and free HBO for 10 months.

Phoenix, Arizona, United States #702034

I am disabled, due to this on a very low income. I have a contract with Dish for another 16 months.

I can not afford to pay to get out of contract, nor afford to keep Dish. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I am stuck between a rock and a hard place.

SOS !!! :upset

to Broken El Paso, Texas, United States #799162

Sorry about your situation. If I in your shoes I would downgrade to the cheapest plan they have. Also you can call customer service and see if they could do some thing for your situation or put your account an hold until your situation improves.

to Bill Brockway, Pennsylvania, United States #1317333

They still charge $5/month to put your account on hold.

to Broken #877942

i wrote a complaint on bbb they contacted me cause i dont get service im paying for

to Broken #1056856

Good luck, i am in same boat, only i argued i never signed a two yr contract. Never would i sign anything for two yrs.

When they came to instaqll the guy had a handheld 4 x 6 screen with print so small u needed a mag glass to read. There were at least 100 pages and he kept telling me you are signing for a yr. not two. Well I still tried to read and he kept talking.

I got so mad I just signed it on his word that it was for a yr. Now i want out of there rate increase and they want 480 dolloars early termination fee. Like ***. I didn't sign for two years, yes she says I did, on that tiny screen that no one can read.

Then they said they are taking it from my acct. Don't think dish, it is closed. Never gave them permission to take any money from ny bank.

But found out if you pay them and they now have your number, and can take it out. Where are our elected officals when you need them?

to Broken #1288768

I would call dish and ask for a dish pause. You pay $5 a month and your services are inactive for the pause

Bahhhaaahahah. They sent me a bill for $18.06 this week for "box return". I called them and kindly informed them they won't see a cent of it.

But what a moronic policy. I paid a DVR fee for the 8 years I had service. I've returned a DVR (used to have 2 in the house) before when I changed my service a few years ago. I wasn't asked to pay to return that receiver because I assume that I was still a customer. Nor was I asked to pay shipping on two DVRs that started malfunctioning while a Dish customer. Now that I told them to take a hike because of the 2013 rate increase they felt it was the right time to tell me I owe shipping on the receiver I was using.

They can now bank on two things. First, they'll collect none of the $18.06. Second, I will, without a doubt, never be a Dish Network customer for the rest of my life. They've lost a customer for good over shipping their hardware back... $18. They're lucky they got that thing back while it still functioned properly. I was ready to take a leak on it. But what a asinine business decision.

I have been a fairly satisfied with Dish for over three years. Finally, the price kept going up, but the service did not and the receiver failed.

I called to get a replacement and was told ten days. I cancelled my account and left town for a week. Got home to a new receiver, no TV and when I called told I would have to pay $17 to ship the broken receiver and the dish back. When I told them I was 70 and not climbing up on the roof, they relented and said send the box and the remote.

I said send an authorization code for a return or don't. I'm old, have a perfect credit rating, own my house and car so report me to collection. I will not pay and I'll enjoy seeing you trying to get a dime from American Express and being laughed at by collection agencies.

Send the Dish TV police...I'm not paying a dime to return your faulty equipment!!! DO NOT PAY THOSE RAT-@#$%^&%$

to mckpatti Fort Wayne, Indiana, United States #654606

I started a contract in aug of 2011....only because I lived in the country and had 2 choices...dish or direct...when I moved back to the city I kept it to fufill the contract. I have called them out for another tech prob...well they placed my dish in december and when the one next door neighbors tree grew in the spring I had random service...which means the tech put it in the worst spot..( no other trees on the property) the last house they installed it on the ground..so I asked if they could come move it...they said for 50.00...I said no you put it there...then said well if you buy the 7.00 insuarance we can come out...I declined...told them to cut it off immediately..which they did...but I have to pay 17.00 to ship it back..after I get their boxes..(only have 30 days) but not from when the boxes arrive..and I have to pay a fee for disconnecting 2 months early...

since I prepaid service I will get a whopping.

58 cents back...I asked if they would come get the dish and take the lines down.. they said no...so I said we can cut them and the response was yes...so now im waiting for the boxes and what exactly they want back..and if they can be honest for once.

Roswell, New Mexico, United States #609003

After giving them our service for nine years you would think that they would take there own machines back without charging. In nine years how much money do they think they have gotten.

Ungrateful company!! Don't ever get dish network they are a big ripe off!, not worth the money. SWITCH PEOPLE !!

Do not get dish network! :( :( :(

Slidell, Louisiana, United States #601165

When I helped connect my mom to dish, they told me that I would be able to try it out for up to two weeks before cancelling. She had trouble seeing the words on the screen and we couldn't make the letters larger so I called them back before :( two weeks to terminate and they told me I had twenty four hours to cancel instead of the two weeks they promised.

As you would expect, I was furious. So I thought battling them for it would be better than paying their numerous fees for cancelling, so I used email to complain about the issue. Turns out they are prepared for people in my situation and request that I contact a lawyer. I call the "new customer" hotline and pretend I'm an new customer by asking how long can I use the service before having to pay the cancel fee and they said two weeks.

I told them I had setup an account with them and I was told 24 hours. They instantly hung up. I called again on another day while recording the conversation. I was ecstatic to hear they are feeding this line to every new customer.

It was always a different amount of time each phone call. Once they said two week period to try the service out before having to pay the cancellation fee, another time they said a week. They are saying whatever they can to trap customers into their service. It also turns out that I have to say I am recording the conversation for the recording to be admissible in court.

Our service is great though all things aside.

Because of the efforts of dish network to trap customers into their contract just like cell companies, I will refuse to renew my contract with them and hope someone will read this and somehow find a way to sue their assess for all the have. What goes around comes around.

Lakewood, Colorado, United States #586909

Went to cancel my service, they said they'd email me a shipping label. Instead they sent offers for free services hoping I would continue service.

***, I'm leaving the country!

Liars.

Called the next day and made sure I got a return authorization code! They conveniently forgot to give me that...

well add me to the list as well. dish just stuck me for 300 or so dollars in unreturned equipment fees.

i have been trying to get a return box or address for over 3 months with no success. today the charge hits and dish customer service tells me to return the equipment for the refund.

send me a box or give me an address and i will be happy too. :roll