Unfortunately, Dish Network specifically targets elderly people as new customers. For example, they will offer service for $19.99 per month to hook them in without explaining that the price is just for a limited time, other cost like receiver lease fees, DVR service, and phone connection fees.

Seniors on a fixed income end up getting a bill for something like $86 instead of the $19.99 that they were told their bill would be. Many times seniors simply cannot afford to pay their tv bill and end up cancelling service.

Dish will send out a huge bill for cancellation fees that customers can't pay and they end up in collections and a bad credit rating.

Review about: Dish Network Receiver.

Comments

Active Duty Soldiers Beware,

I apologize about the bad experience you had after canceling your account. I understand how frustrating it can be to think something is taken care of then come to find out that not only was it not taken care of but that it has affected your credit report.

I can assure you this is not a standard practice. Anytime you cancel your account equipment must be returned, when you are ready to restart services we would provide you with new equipment. If you are going to be gone less than 6 months we can pause the account so you do not have to send it back but since you were gone 10 months the best thing was to cancel the account. I apologize that this was not explained to you fully and I hope in the future you will give us the opportunity to regain your trust.

Please let me know if there is anything that we can do for you. My email address is Alicia.Brink@dishnetwork.com

I am an active duty soldier who deployed to Iraq in 2007. I called Dish Network to have my service suspended while I was gone and they were very friendly in doing so.

After being away about 10 months I checked my credit report from Iraq and there was a substantial collection account on there. When I enquired why there was a delinquint account, I was told it was because I did not returne the equipment, even though I intended to re-instate the service when I returned. I decided to go with cable at that point and I did returne the equipment. Yesterday I pulled a credit report to buy a home and Dish Network again came back to haunt me.

After talking with them they are sending me a 0 balance letter to correct the problem. There should havae never been a balance anyway. The other issue is they are bundled with Century link. They shut off the DSL for me when requested but that does not turn off the phone line as well.

Again it showed on my report. They did correct the problem but REFUSE to send a letter to turn in to my Loan specialist.

Watch out for these bundled services. They never seem to go aaway!

I apologize there was so much confusion regarding your pricing. We make every effort to provide accurate and consistent information to our customers. We try to ensure every customer is aware of their "bottom line" pricing. We provide a lot of much information to customers at the time they set up the account, and I apologize if you we not aware of all the charges you would receive. There are some situations that may cause your bill to increase or change; price increases, additional receivers, additional features, additional programming. If you still have any questions please let me know.

Alicia Brink