2.9K views

I posted part of this before, but organized it better now.

Following are self-explanatory e-mail messages I exchanged with Dish Network after, and as, they tried to scam me:

Sent: Friday, June 10, 2011 11:37 AM

To: care@dish.com

Subject: Acct. # 8255909371701274

A few weeks ago a guy from dish network called wanting to change out our two Dish DVR receivers I had purchased many years ago. Since we were satisfied with what we had at $46.99 per month, and did not want to pay any more or even the inconvenience of new installation, I declined.

He then said that our DVR receivers would not work anymore in the near future because they were obsolete. He then proposed new DVR units at no extra cost and free installation. Then he decided something would be an extra three dollars and some change per month, which I agreed to. That brought our monthly bill to a little less than fifty-one dollars. That is all I am willing to pay.

You just sent me an invoice for almost ninety dollars for a month with the new hardware. That is not acceptable. I will not pay you more than the fifty-one dollars I agreed to.

Either come get this new stuff and put my old hardware back in and return me to the previous rate and features or just come get the new stuff and get out of my life. I do not like, and will not accept, being conned.

From: care@customermail.dishnetwork.com

To: richard@bslight.com

Sent: Sunday, June 12, 2011 2:10 AM

Subject: RE: Acct. # 8255909371701274

Dear Mr. Young,

Thank you for taking the time to contact us. I understand your concern. Our record indicates your current balance includes a partial charge upon upgrading your equipment and programming within the service period.

If you agree to provide the information requested above, please reply to this email for confirmation and we will provide you with the desired information.

Sent: Tuesday, June 14, 2011 11:23 AM

To: FeedBack

Subject: Re: Acct. # 8255909371701274

You say you understand my concern, it does not appear you do.

I want to discuss your offer and my acceptance of you changing out my receivers for your benefit

or reasons not mine, I was satisfied with what I had, but in any event with no extra cost to me.

I did agree to another three dollars a month, although in retrospect I don't know why I did.

You want to talk about receivers and smartcards and bill me for DVR service and other ***.

I do not care about the hardware or what it takes to get the program content to me. All I care

about is getting the news and weather when I want it and not paying more than the fifty-one

dollars a month I agreed to without any hassle and waste of my time like this.

If you cannot handle that under the conditions I agreed to and get me a revised statement

reflecting a total of fifty-one dollars per month, then I reiterate, come get your equipment.

From: care@customermail.dishnetwork.com

To: richard@bslight.com

Sent: Saturday, June 18, 2011 7:44 PM

Subject: Rated Possible SPAM by Hostek RE: Acct. # 8255909371701274

Dear Mr. Young,

Thank you for taking the time to contact us. I understand your frustration regarding your bill. Before we can process your request for your billing information, please provide your physical address and send us the receiver number and smartcard number from the information screen on your tuner's menu screen. You may access this screen by pressing Menu, 6 (System Setup), 1 (Installation) and 3 (System Info) on your remote control.

Sent: Monday, June 20, 2011 1:04 PM

To: FeedBack

Subject: Re: Rated Possible SPAM by Hostek RE: Acct. # 8255909371701274

6/20/11

I am not requesting billing information, I have the bill in front of me and it is full of charges I

never agreed to.

Since you have chosen to not address my over-billing complaint of 6/10/11 & 6/14/11 and seem

to want to keep playing this silly e-mail game, I am convinced that the overcharge was an

intentional scam. I am old, but not senile. After twenty years with Dish I am reluctant to quit,

but I will not deal with crooks. Dish used to be a decent outfit.

You have my account number, that is all you needed to handle this. I am sure my address is

listed and probably the receiver and smartcard number, as if any of that affects this fraudulent

bill.

Terminate my service today. I will not pay for any service beyond today.

Send me an amended bill reflecting the extra three something dollars per month through June 14th that I already paid $46.99 for plus the fifty-one dollars a month I agreed to for days June 15th-

20th (today) and I will pay it. I will not pay you a dime until I get a correct bill without all that

extra *** I did not agree to removed.

I will put your receivers in a sealed box and have two unrelated people sign and date the seal.

Send someone to sign for and pick them up or after 60 days, if they are not picked up, I will

take them to Goodwill and send you a copy of the receipt.

_____________________________________________

internet headers for following final message of this thread:

Return-Path:

Received: from MER2-CMSMTP1.customermail.dishnetwork.com (custmail1.customermail.dishnetwork.com [204.76.128.103]) by mail9.hostek.com with SMTP;

Mon, 4 Jul 2011 00:31:08 -0500

Received: from MER2-CMEXCH1.customermail.dishnetwork.com ([10.0.221.33]) by MER2-CMSMTP1.customermail.dishnetwork.com with InterScan Messaging Security Suite; Sun, 03 Jul 2011 23:30:55 -0600

From:

To:

Dear Mr. Young,

Thank you for your email. We understand that situations can arise which may force you to disconnect your DISH Network service. We have forwarded your information to our loyalty department. A representative will contact you to confirm your request. You also have the option of chatting with a customer service representative using live chat.

www.dishnetwork.com/chat

Please include all previous correspondence when replying.

******** NO ONE FROM DISH HAS CONTACTED ME ABOUT CORRECTING THE FRAUDULENT BILL THEY SENT AND CONTINUE TO SEND. Each time they communicate their "pay up or else" *** by phone or e-mail without correcting the bill it prompts me to communicate my displeasure with their tactics to yet another state Attorney General, Legislator or internet forum. Next I intend to try to get our local TV station "problem solvers" involved.

---------------------------------END OF E-MAILS-------------------------

When trying to find the proper e-mail address to voice my above complaint to, I Googled "dish network complaint" and was amazed to get 1,333,000 results/hits (that's not a mistake, it truly is one million three hundred thirty-three thousand) and virtually all I looked at, but a few advertisements by Dish themselves, were extremely upset people that had been scammed by Dish Network and/or their sub-contractors. After reading many of these peoples complaints, it is apparent that Dish Network not only condones, but encourages these deceptive sales practices of their employees as well as sub-contractors. If you think that a Google "dish network COMPLAINT" result of 1,333,000 is a fluke, try "dish network SCAM" and get 1,320,000 or "dish network FRAUD and get 871,000 hits or dish network THIEVES or CROOKS or ? each around half a million hits. While some of these are undoubtably duplicate complaints, it's obvious Dish has ripped-off millions over many years.

Scamming is clearly part of their corporate culture, maybe even current business model. Makes one wonder if the harassing employees are so uninformed or weak-minded they believe in Dish Network even with millions complaining of being scammed or are they just crooks themselves.

Certainly explains the incident several months ago when my monthly bill jumped to sixty some dollars from the forty-six ninety-nine it had been. I called to find out what was going on and was told they had added some feature(s) they thought I would like. I told them to change my bill back to what it was, which they did. I did not at the time think to much about the incident since I had been with Dish for twenty years without a problem. Never did figure out what features they "added".

Dish Network IS A CLASSIC EXAMPLE OF BAD BEHAVIOR, ON A MASSIVE SCALE, THAT CLASS ACTION LAWSUITS WERE TAILORED TO ADDRESS.

Surely more than a few attorneys have been scammed by this *** outfit. Why then no class action lawsuit yet? Does Dish back down when they find who they are dealing with? Do people just accept this thievery because it is to much trouble to fight over $20-100 a month or feel they cannot do anything about it?

Where is the sense of moral outrage when conned/bilked/scammed by this thieving company?

IF YOU ARE A LAWYER, OR KNOW ONE, THAT DOES CLASS ACTION LITIGATION, GET INVOLVED"”DO SOMETHING. It probably would benefit you greatly, as I am sure Dish Networks pockets are deep with money they have stolen from their customers over many years.

Since Dish Network abuse is so massive and widespread, why is the U.S. Attorney General not looking into it? I wonder how much Dish contributes to political coffers. The Attorneys General of the states also have the power to bring action in their states, but, sadly, are generally overwhelmed with other issues and will have to be convinced to make time. Enough communication from victims should convince them. But, if your state Attorney General requires convincing this is one of his/her more pressing problems, your state House member or Senator should be able to help motivate your AG. It would be particularity beneficial to bring this issue up in the open forum meetings that most of these state politicians periodically host. In addition to informing the officials, you will warn other people about this ongoing Dish Network fraud.

The Better Business Bureau (BBB) might be of some help, although they are locally run and I hear some are pretty useless. It is easy to file a complaint on line and can't hurt. I did, don't know the result yet. I also filed a complaint with the FTC, haven't yet heard about that either.

But, above all, NEVER agree to anything Dish people verbally offer, DEMAND it be put in writing and NEVER-EVER give them your credit or debit card number or permission to draw funds from your bank account. IF MILLIONS OF COMPLAINTS ARE ANY INDICATION, THEY WILL ***.

Those of you reluctant to give up satellite DVRing, cheer up. I found a local channel receiver/tuner with HDD-DVR/DVD capabilities at Walmart that does most everything the Dish receiver does, including timed recordings, plus it allows program editing on the DVR and can record on DVD R/W discs as well. Slick unit. It is a Magnavox H2160MW9. Order it on line for a little over two hundred, free delivery to store. We now have slightly over thirty local channels and sub-channels here, twenty-five miles outside Tulsa, and all come in crystal clear with fair variety of programing. Big change from five snowy channels twenty years ago, and best of all, no monthly bills or dealing with Dish Network"” all the channels are FREE! Check your local stations if you haven't lately, you might be pleasantly surprised.

Review about: Dish Network Receiver.

Comments